Tom Mirus, who for over 20 years has volunteered to assist the United States Blind Golf Association in various capacities, has been named recipient of the ING’s Dennis Walters Courage Award.
The presentation will be made at the 29th Annual ING Spring Conference, set for May 19-23, 2019 at the SEVEN Sebring Raceway Hotel Hotel and Conference Center in Sebring, Florida.
The Dennis Walters Courage Award goes to an individual who has overcome great odds to play, and contribute to, the game of golf. It is presented by the non-profit International Network of Golf, where media and the golf industry connect.
The award is named after Dennis Walters, a professional golfer paralyzed from the waist down after a golf cart accident who has since become one of the leading trick shot performers in golf. Walters plans on attending the ING Spring Conference to present the award to Mirus at the Tuesday Night Banquet.
Mirus is the only known vision impaired / legally blind golfer to earn a PGA card. He was born with cataracts in both of his eyes, yet in his prime posted a 4 handicap. He received a scholarship to play golf at Murray State University in Kentucky, and went on to compete in NCAA sanctioned tournaments and serve as golf professional at numerous prestigious clubs.
Mirus, who is the Director of the highly successful Golfweek Amateur Golf Tour in Orlando, has served as the Senior Rules Officials of the USBGA since 1998. He also serves as the USBGA Director of Education, and conducts seminars for fellow PGA/LPGA professionals about teaching and coaching blind golfers. He also directs several tournaments for blind golfers around the country. He is a special volunteer who brings a professional touch to the organization and exemplifies the designation “friend of the USBGA and blind golf”.
The ING Spring Conference will feature a full schedule of networking and educational events:
- ING One-On-One Appointment Show: This is a series of 15-minute, private meetings between exhibitors and attendees.
- ING Demo Lab: Attendees test the latest equipment, training aids and instructional tips on the range and putting green.
- EDUCATION: Sessions include the Entrepreneurs Panel, Generational Marketing, Social Media Marketing and more.
- GOLF: Various golf tournaments will be conducted, both in team and individual formats.
- NETWORKING: Several networking sessions are planned, including the Opening Night Welcome Reception at Rafter T Ranch and the Tuesday Night Banquet.
Plus, at this year’s conference there will be an extended stay program on Thursday May 23, with golf, attraction tours and drag racing at the famed Sebring International Raceway.
To register for the ING Conference, or to find out more about ING, visit www.inggolf.com, or call 407-474-0531.